Friday, February 20, 2009

"I did not mean to kill the leader of the occupation forces."

So said Iraqi shoe-thrower Muntadar al-Zaidi as he took the stand in defense of throwing his shoes at President Bush. 'The leader of the occupation forces' is an interesting title for Mr. Bush. I'm trying to recall whether the leader of the 'occupying forces' in 1776 made a similar visit to the Colonies. Actually, I think not.

Al-Zaidi said that, during that news conference, he became enraged as Bush provided an upbeat assessment of the security situation in Iraq.

"I did not know what achievements he was talking about," Zaidi said. "I was seeing a million martyrs, seas of Iraqi blood, the desecration of mosques, the raping of Iraqi women and the humiliation Iraqis endure every day, every hour. Because I am a journalist, I know all about that."

Bush smirked "icily" as he spoke, Zaidi said, flashing a "smile with no spirit."

Smiled icily. Ah, that smile, or is it a smirk? Lots of adolescent boys like to smirk, especially the more well-to-do white kids who figure that they are in a better economic class. Bush's adolescent smirk never wore off. Of course, psychologists will tell you that a smirk is often a cover-up, often unconscious, for guilt.

"In that moment, I only saw Bush," he said. "I was feeling the blood of innocent people flow under my feet as he was smiling. I felt that he is the killer of my people and I am one of those people. I became emotional because he's responsible for what is going on in Iraq, so I hit him with my shoe."

So then, it was the result of the cocky, icy smirk. Temporary insanity plea. Yet we are left to ponder this question: just who suffered the insanity?

Lefty Blogs