Wednesday, December 12, 2007

New Jersey Ends Capital Punishment


Old Sparky will sizzle no more. The New Jersey state Senate voted by 21 to 16 to replace executions with life in prison without the possibility of parole for the worst offenders. The lower house is widely expected to follow suit tomorrow and convey the bill to Jon Corzine, the Governor, for signature in January. He has long favoured scrapping the death penalty.


Don't you just wonder who those 16 'no' votes were from? I bet I could make some fairly accurate guesses.


First I'd guess that most if not all were Republicans because, as we all know, they are the party that is 'tough on crime.'


Next, I'd guess that they are right-of-center Christians, perhaps evangelicals. After all, the Bible says...


Last, I bet they are angry folks, bitter about something in their personal lives.


I wonder how close to the truth I came?


Here's another question that just popped up in my brain: Which state will be the LAST state to ban capital punishment? Come on, think, think hard.... OK, here's a clue: remember the years 1995 - 2000 Do you need another one? Think nasty, think vengeance, think preemptive war...

Lefty Blogs