Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gosh, you sound stupid!


I received a short but blunt comment to monitor which read, "Gosh, you sound stupid! I'm sorry to say it --but gee, you do!"  It went with the thread,  Liberty University Bans College Dems." I sound so stupid, the woman told me.  She's an oh-so righteous fundamentalist christian and, therefore, she knows 'stupid.'

stu-pid: 1 a: slow of mind : obtuse b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless

Interestingly, the etymology of 'stupid' is from Latin stupēre: to be numb, be astonished. The English word, stupefy, more correctly relates the original meaning of the word.

Perhaps that is what the woman meant by her comment: She is astonished, numbed as she absorbs my blog postings- totally blown-away, in 21st century American vernacular. "I wish that I could present so many varied and interesting topics to my readers as Mudrake offers his. I'm astonished with the wide variety and depth of his posts, while I'm stuck with my bigoted homosexual posts and decrying secular humanists! It's stupefying!"

I do not believe in ghosts nor the Easter Bunny. Adam and Eve were mythical creatures. The Earth was created over billions of years. The age of the human race is more than 8,000 years. The animals that exist on earth today are modified from their original form through adaptive evolution. Life on earth arose from primordial earth-chemicals enriched by space debris from meteorites and comets. Jesus was a man. No human has ever escaped the permanence of death. The miraculous suspension of the physical laws of nature is not possible. The book called The Bible was a mythically-enhanced anthology of the trials and tribulations of a wandering Middle Eastern tribe. The deeds of heroes increase in complexity and valor with each re-telling of the story. Babies are born without sin. Humans created gods to ameliorate their fears and ignorance. Afterlife is a ruby-slippers wish. Religious wars that have killed untold millions of innocent human beings were based on superstitious righteousness and bigotry. Religious words, thoughts and admonitions cannot be part of a truly free, democratic political system. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were two of the most cunningly deceptive leaders of this nation.

The woman who labeled me 'stupid' believes the opposite of what I wrote in the paragraph above.

"Stupid is as stupid does.' - Forrest Gump.




Lefty Blogs